Delivery-focussed Elixir, Python, XSL/XQuery, (No)SQL, and Agile consultancy, specialising in content migration, API design, and (micro)services.
Oldham-Made is no longer offering consultancy services in the UK
With a heavy heart I must announce that Oldham-Made Ltd is closing down.
It’s been a great 6 years, but due to the uncertainty of Brexit I’ve had to reassess the future, for the business, for myself, and for my family, and I’ve had to make the soul-wrenching decision to close the business and relocate away from the UK.
Oldham-Made Ltd has been lucky to work with some amazing clients on some truly inspiring projects, including:
- The BBC’s Knowledge and Learning department, helping to modernise their Bitesize GCSE revision content by processing 10 years’ worth of XML and migrating it into their new XML-based content management system.
- UKTV, assisting with the development of their UKTVPlay TV/set-top-box application.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, working across of a number of projects and teams.
- Sainsburys, building a middleware API for an in-store mobile shopping proof-of-concept.
- Sohonet, helping to get their ClearView Flex tool from proof-of-concept through to MVP and into the offices and daily workflows of some of the biggest names in the media industry, including Disney, Paramount Pictures, and Netflix.
- The United Nations World Food Programme, helping to coordinate efforts between the UK, Rome, and Bangkok development teams to reintegrate changes between the primary codebase and a 3-year old fork.
Oldham-Made Ltd was originally started to provide the weath of my experience to clients on a short-term basis, and also to provide me personally with more financial stability and flexibility in my work schedule so that I could give help and assistance to my parents and relatives.
However, Brexit has removed any sense of stability in the UK, and the UK government is making it increasingly difficult for small businesses to operate. While a hard-Brexit wouldn’t affect my business directly, the indirect effects of any kind of Brexit, including the Brexit process the UK is currently undergoing, are unpredictable and incalculable. I’ve found that I need to look elsewhere to provide the stability both I and my family need.
While the UK business is closing down, I’ll personally be keeping the brand alive and will continue to release and maintain open-source projects under the OldhamMade repository on github, and will continue to personally host the closed-source, free-to-use tools developed over the years.
My hope is that in the future Oldham-Made can start providing consultancy services again, albeit from a new base in the EU. And I’d like to wish other, similar small businesses in the UK the best of luck during this trying period.
- Tagged in
Originally posted: Apr 02 2019